5 Sept 2021
W. Cochrane Carr (1880s), Elswick Coal Co. (1930s -)
Charley Pit (Coal). This is named as the Charlotte Pit on the 2nd edition OS mapping. Opened in April 1766 as part of Benwell Colliery, owned by W. Cochrane Carr Ltd, and from the 1930s by Elswick Coal Company Ltd.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Charlotte Pit, around 1935. Source: Tyne & Wear Archives
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us