8 Sept 2021
Newmarch, Sons & Co. (1840s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Fawdon B Pit (Coal). Marked as Old on the 2nd edition OS mapping, so out of use by 1895. Part of Fawdon Colliery and Fawdon West Pit - both marked on Bell's map of 1847. Called " Burn Pit " by the British Geological Survey. The colliery opened in 1810, B Pit in 1813. There were several pits - A Pit, Engine Pit (HER 4011), E Pit (opened in 1823) and F Pit (opened in 1836 for draining water). Fawdon Colliery was owned by Newmarch Sons & Co. On 5 September 1827, an explosion killed 2 miners and injured 3. An inclined plane linked the colliery to Kenton Bankfoot by fixed engine (see HER 1078). Thomas Hair drew a picture of the colliery in 1844.
Ordnance Survey, 1864
B Pit, 1848 by Thomas Hair
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.