top of page
full size.png

3981

Dewley Pits, Black Callerton

Black Callerton

55.013463,-1.734578

Engine Pit Number 2

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

29 Jun 2023

Preserved

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

The earthwork remains of Engine Pit measure approximately 50 metres by 40 metres and have an irregular plan.

Coal extraction began here in 17th century and the Dewley Pits continued to be worked into the 19th century when they were the workplace of George Stevenson during the early part of his career. Andrew Pit survives as a large shaft mound with its associated spoil heap. The coal mining remains at Dewley Pits survive well and represent a remarkably well-defined concentration of late 18th century and 19th century shaft mounds. The earthworks overlie remains of earlier ridge and furrow cultivation, which illustrates the impact of the Dewley Pits on the earlier rural landscape. Most significantly, they provide information for the historical and technological development of coal mining in this area, contributing towards the understanding of the transition from small scale, low investment mining to the more capital intensive, nucleated mines that emerged in the late 18th century in an area of arable fields.

In this respect they are of national importance.

Ordnance Survey, 1865

Ordnance Survey, 1865

Engine Pit No. 2, 2023

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Wider image of Engine Pit 2 in 2023. The waste mount is extant, with much more evidence underground.

Wider image of Engine Pit 2 in 2023. The waste mount is extant, with much more evidence underground.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page