top of page
full size.png

3653

Snipes Dean Pit

Gibside, Gateshead

54.927344,-1.715987

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

Snipes Dean Pit (Coal) shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map {1}. MPP Site Assessment - References to coal working on the Gibside estate date from 1607 and ceased with the closure of a small drift mine in 1884. Surviving features include the mouth of a drift, two adits and a small concentration of shaft mounds. The workings appear to be relatively small scale, but may include undisturbed C17 underground galleries {2}. Drift mine entrance. The coal estate at West and East Gibside was owned by the Blakiston family. In 1608 there were 'colemynes as well opened as not opened' in Snipes Dene in West Gibside. This deep dene facilitated free drainage of upper seams. A millpond below it, used in the 18th century as a paper mill, must have worked a coalmill for the lower seams before that.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page