top of page
full size.png


Blaydon Main Colliery

Blaydon, Gateshead


Shibdon Colliery

Low Shibdon



Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

6 Sept 2021




Alderman White (18th c), Blackett Family (18th c), Simpson Family (18th c), G. H Ramsay (1830s), Messrs. Ramsay & Co (1860s), George H. Ramsay & Son (1880s), Stella Coal Co. (1880s), Priestman Collieries Ltd (1909 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Blaydon Main Colliery. A Wagonway, (SMR 3459), connected this site to Wagonway SMR 3442. Also known as Shibdon Colliery it opened in the early 18th century, worked by Alderman White, the Blacketts and their Agent, and subsequently leased to the Simpsons. It closed in 1798, but reopened in 1828, when the Hazard and Speculation Pits (HER 6022) were sunk. Owned by GH Ramsay, then Ramsay & Co, George H Ramsay and Son, Stella Coal Company and finally Priestman Colliery Ltd. Whellan's directory says that 400 men and boys were employed here. Coke Ovens for the Colliery were at Derwenthaugh.The pits - Content Pit, Garden Pit, Harard Pit, Milner Pit (HER 1661) and Specualtion Pit. It finally closed in 1921.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Works Photograph, date unknown. Source: Science Museum Group

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page