Townley Main Colliery
11 Oct 2021
Dunns Family (1800 - 1833), Stella Coal Co. (1840 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Stargate Pit, on the Townley Main Wagonway (HER 3317). Opened in 1800 by the Dunns of Stella Hall. An explosion in 1801 was followed by another serious explosion on 30th May 1826 when 38 men and boys were killed. The Ryton Heritage Group erected a memorial to the victims in Ryton Holy Cross churchyard in 1993. Dunn's lease expired in 1833, and the colliery having been laid in after the accident, was not reopened until 1840 when its owners, the Stella Coal Company attached it to the Rector's Glebe and Stella Freehold Colleries. The colliery owners built all the houses in the village as workmen's dwellings. A Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1877.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Stargate Colliery, undated. Source: John Parkin, Flickr
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.