top of page
full size.png

3212

North Hetton Colliery

Rainton, Sunderland

54.823047,-1.471351

Hazard Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

20 Sept 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

North Hetton Co. (1850s), North Hetton Coal Co. (1860s), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Hazard Pit was served by the Rainton and Seaham North Hetton Branch, (SMR 3205). Part of Rainton Colliery. Opened in 1818. Owners were the North Hetton Coal Company (Earl of Durham, Messrs Wood, Philipson, Burrell and others) and Lady FA Vane Londonderry, Marquess of Londonderry (in 1850s). Part of Rainton Colliery, which was opened before 1815 and closed in July 1978. Rainton Colliery included Adventure Pit (NZ 315 470), Dun Well Pit (HER 3206), Alexandrina Pit (HER 3219), Meadows Pit (HER 6848), Nicholson's Pit (HER 3201), North Pit (HER 3197), Plain Pit (HER 3198), Resolution Pit (NZ 311 476). In 1790 a boring had been put down in South Pit in East Rainton by a Mr Rawlings, to a depth of 10 fathoms. Whellan reported that in 1894 Rainton Colliery had 31 stationary engines, 38 boilers, 1185 workers and 835 workmen's houses.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Hazard Pit, pre 1915. Source: hettonlocalhistory.org.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page