3 Sept 2021
Lady F. A. Vane Londonderry (1850s), George Elliot & Co. (1860s), Sir George Elliot (1880s)
Ordnance Survey first edition of 1862 shows Painshaw Colliery, Whitefield Pit with brick kilns within the colliery. Opened 1830. E Pit was at NZ 322 525, Lambton Pit (which was opened in 1792) was at NZ 319 533, New D Pit (opened 1832) was at NZ 322 533. The colliery was owned by Lady FA Vane Londonderry, and leased/managed by George Elliot & Co. Extensive records in DRO. Possibly closed in 1879. The main site has recently (2014) had houses built upon it. The ventilation fan house (marked on the second edition OS plan) was rebuilt when the structure was converted into two houses. The original west frontage survives. Whitefield cottages are much rebuilt but are shown on the 1815 estate plan.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us