Harton and Whitburn Colliery
South Shields, South Tyneside
13 Sept 2021
W. Blackett, N. Wood, Anderson & Philipson (1850s), Harton & Hilda Coal Co. (1860s), Harton Coal Co. (1880-1947), National Coal Board (1947)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Harton Colliery. This was linked to a railway (HER 2332) by a wagonway (HER 2395). Opened in 1844, closed 25 July 1969. Owners were (1850s) W. Blackett, N. Wood, Anderson and Philipson, later Harton and Hilda Coal Company, then Harton Coal Co, and from 1947 the National Coal Board. In July 1844 the Bensham seam was reached at a depth of 1290 feet - the greatest depth in the Tyne district at that time. The shaft was single, but divided into two by a timber brattice. Cast-iron tubbing was required due to a fault which extended to a length of 474 feet. Whellan, in 1894, reported that Harton was one of the deepest mines. In 1854 it was the scene of the famous pendulum experiments by Astromer Royal, Sir George Buddell Airey.
Ordnance Survey 1899
Harton Colliery, 1940s. Source: South Tyneside Libraries
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.