Shiremoor, North Tyneside
Blue Bell Pit
3 Sept 2021
15 Apr 2022
Backworth and West Cramlington Collieries (- 1896), Shiremoor Coal Company (1896 - 1915)
Description (or HER record listing)
Shiremoor Colliery, with a link to the North Eastern Railway, through the Blyth and Tyne Branch (HER 1055). Owners were Backworth and West Cramlington Colleries. Bought by Backworth Collieries from Shiremoor Coal Company in 1896. Samuel Young Lilley died on 15 December 1896, aged 16. He was a Way End Boy. The rope on the engine plane had broken and struck him. In 1902 the first electric coal-cutter was tried out at the Blue Bell Pit. Closed in 1915.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Blue Bell Pit, date unknown. Source: Suscram.weebly.com
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Site of Shiremoor Colliery. Most of this park area is built atop the heap.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by