full size.png

1351

Fenham Coal Mines

Fenham, Newcastle

Fenham, Newcastle

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

13 Sept 2021

Owners: 

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

In 1185 Fenham was given to the Knights Templars. Between their suppression in 1307, and the vesting of their property in the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in 1313, the crown disposed of much of the confiscated property, and the corporation of Newcastle apparently obtained a lease of the coal mines in Fenham. In 1404 the corporation had a lease of these mines from the Knights Hospitallers.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0