Backworth, North Tyneside
3 Sept 2021
15 Apr 2022
Humble, Lamb & Co (1830s), Backworth Colliery Co. (1840s), Waldie & Co. (1850s), Maud, Taylor & Co. (1860s), J. C. Lamb & Co (1880s), Backworth Collieries Ltd. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The colliery site includes a brickfield at its southern end, shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map shows an expansion of spoil heaps, but the colliery is marked "Disused". This pit was known as the B Pit, it opened in 1818 and was closed before 1900.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
B Pit Washer, later used as a waggon repair shop. Source: Billy Embleton, Flickr
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
B Pit from the north edge. The site has been entirely reclaimed with little to no trace_
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by