Ordnance Survey, 1898
Ordnance Survey, 1898

Carville Station can be seen south east of the Wallsend station which still stands. At this point Wallsend had already grown to be a major Tyneside settlement, most notably for its shipyards on the Tyne. Interestingly the Segedunum site can be seen on the map also.

press to zoom
Ordnance Survey, 1921
Ordnance Survey, 1921

At this point Carville Station was a principal station on the line, Serving the shipyard workers at Swan Hunters and hosting just under a dozen sidings for wagons and the like.

press to zoom
Ordnance Survey, 1947
Ordnance Survey, 1947

Carville remains a substantial stopping point on the Riverside Branch. Wallsend was still growing at this point, as can be seen with the post-war building projects popping up to the west. Based on pure speculation, many houses are now not shaded which may be down to WWII bombing, which was substantial in Wallsend.

press to zoom
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Ordnance Survey, 1898

Carville Station can be seen south east of the Wallsend station which still stands. At this point Wallsend had already grown to be a major Tyneside settlement, most notably for its shipyards on the Tyne. Interestingly the Segedunum site can be seen on the map also.

press to zoom
1/3
Carville, 1959

Name: Carville Railway Station

Region: Wallsend, North Tyneside

Date of Origin: 01/08/1891

Site Type: Railway Station

Condition: Demolished

Status: The site is now a car wash and petrol station. The only existing evidence are the station walls and the station cottages.

Last Updated: 25/05/2020

Address: Hadrian Rd, Wallsend NE28 6HG

http://disused-stations.org.uk/c/carville/index.shtml

"The brick-built, single-storey main building was at  the west end of the down platform. The frontage was straight and had a large  central gable over the entrance, with decorative woodwork under the gable and a  finial above. The pitched roof-line of the cross-wings on the platform side  ended in half-hipped gables on the frontage. At the east end of the building,  looking like an afterthought, was a further section which reversed the roof  details of the pavilions, with a half-hipped end facing the platform and a  gable end on the frontage.

Because the platforms were built on a tight curve and  the building was straight and parallel to the road it fronted, the west end of  the platform was progressively wider towards the ramp. Conversely, at the eastern  end of the main building, the additional section under a half-hipped roof was  recessed, so as not to make the platform dangerously narrow. On the platform, serving as a waiting room, a glazed verandah with a lean-to roof stretched  between the cross-wings, and above its central entrance on the platform side  was a small gable. The two cross-wing  gables were decorated with simple wooden finials and pendants, which survived  until closure. On the same side of the  tracks beyond the level crossing was a tall brick-built NER signal box with a  pitched roof, accompanied by a row of railway cottages. The up platform had a wooden waiting shelter  towards its west end.

 

A more ambitious main building design, with an arched  portico, a small tower, and white glazed interior was intended for Carville  station but was never built. It was probably thought extravagant for such an industrial  environment and for the expected clientele.

 

Despite its proximity to Wallsend station, Carville  was not starved of passengers. In the  closing years of the branch, Carville was its busiest station, conveniently  situated at the entrance to Wallsend Shipyard. When the siren announced the end  of the afternoon shift, hundreds of men poured out of the premises, many of  them onto the platforms at Carville; the station, silent during the day, was crowded for a few minutes.

 

The main building survived until closure, though only  the western end of the glazed verandah was intact. If they had the inclination,  passengers could admire a display of potted plants on the south-facing waiting  room window ledge. There were no buildings on the up platform at closure. 

 

After Carville closed to passengers, a track remained  in place until at least April 1987, terminating at Swan Hunter's Wallsend  Shipyard.

 

In 1979 the station was still largely intact.The 'British Railways Carville' enamel sign remained  on the exterior wall, and the up platform nameboard had not been removed. Being wooden and faded to the point of  illegibility it was not a collector's item.  The lower half of the signal box was in place, still bearing its  nameplate."

 

Extract retrieved from the Disused Stations Carville page. Please have a look at their fascinating full article into the station and the line.
                

CARVILLE RAILWAY STATION

WALLSEND