top of page

Name: Carlton House, formerly Nicholson House

Region: Hendon, Sunderland

Date of Origin: 1850

Site Type: Dwelling

Condition: Extant, recently renovated

Status: The site, previous used as accomodation for Sunderland Polytechnic, has just been renovated as a high end property. Grade II Listed Building

Last Updated: 24/05/2020

Address: Mowbray Rd, Sunderland SR2 8HY

Historic England

"Charlton House, No. 2 Mowbray Road, Sunderland (formerly known as Nicholson House) was built in 1850 by John and Benjamin Green. The mansion was built for Alderman William Nicholson, who made his fortune supplying copper, brass and iron fittings for the ship building industry. The house was later used for students’ union accommodation for Sunderland University, before being sold to Sunderland High School. The High School closed in 2016. Charlton House is next to Langham Tower." - Co-Curate

Carlton House, undated

CARLTON HOUSE,
SUNDERLAND

bottom of page