Name: Buddle Schools

Region: Wallsend, North Tyneside

Date of Origin: 1876

Site Type: School

Condition: Extant

Status: Site now used as the Buddle Arts Centre, in process of being renovated. Grade II Listed building.

Last Updated: 24/05/2020

Address: Station Road, Wallsend

https://twsitelines.info/SMR/5474

"The Buddle School or Wallsend Board Schools (for juniors and infants) were built in the mid 1870s, following the Elementary Education Act of 1870 which provided elementary education for the working classes. A site adjacent to the recently closed 'C' pit was acquired for £800 per acre.

 

The school was named after John Buddle, a notable Wallsend figure and local mining engineer. He became manager of Wallsend Colliery in 1803 where he contributed to the improvement of safety underground, principally through the introduction and improvement of the safety lamp. The main school forms an 'E' shape with further buildings around the compound to the north - the headmaster's house, toilet block and playshed and the caretaker's house, toilet block and playshed to the east. All were built in buff sandstone with ashlar dressings, in a Scottish baronial style with crow-stepped gables and steep roof lines. There is a date panel in the centre at first floor. The roof has a square central bellcote with fishscale roof. In 1884 two extra classrooms were built onto the boys and girls wings. A science wing, workshop, two prefab classrooms and a boiler house were added in the early 20th century. T

 

he school was closed in 1974. In 1977 it became the Wallsend or Buddle Arts Centre. Despite its change of use, the overall character of the buildings has been retained along with most of its fixtures." - Sitelines

Site of Buddle Schools, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862.

Buddle Road is situated just north east of the crossing, over the road from the well on the west side. As can be seen, what is now Richardson Dees Park is Wallsend Colliery, and the Old Waggonway can be seen which now follows the course of Park Road.

Ordnance Survey, 1898.

By this point the C pit was disused and the old Waggonway along what is now Park Road lifted. The Buddle Schools are just over 20 years old at this point, serving juniors and infants from Wallsend. The development of Wallsend as an industrial town, rather than a sleepy village, is growing at an impressive rate.

Buddle Schools, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1921.

In 1921, Wallsend Park neighboured the Buddle Schools, giving half built Park Road its name, and the area was fully developed.

Buddle Schools, 1921

BUDDLE SCHOOLS,

WALLSEND