top of page
og1.png

tan02

Bowls, Tennis

Tanfield Lea Park

54.880305, -1.716827

Tanfield Lea

Opened:

c1920s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

22 Dec 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A recreation ground was opened either in the late 1910s or early 1920s at this site at Noble's Wood. The first references to the park is in 1922, when a show promoted by the Tanfield Lea Amateur Gardeners Association was held here.

The 1930s map illustrates a bowling green and tennis court here, though few references are made to the grounds itself. There was a Tanfield Lea Bowling Club, who played against other local clubs in North West Durham like Kimblesworth and Medomsley. It can be presumed their home green was here. At this time, both the green and tennis court had their own pavilion, and could be reached via a path through Noble's Wood.

They can also be seen on 1940s aerial imagery, with the bowling green pavilion intact. Less can be said of the Tennis court pavilion.

The park still remains, though it does not appear maintained as a recreation ground. The outline of the bowling green and tennis courts are still in situ, though do not appear used given a path crosses the green.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1946

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Tanfield Lea Park in 1945, via Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page