top of page
og1.png

stly10

Football

Fourth Street, Football Ground

54.851039, -1.708667

South Moor, Stanley

Opened:

c1930s

Closed:

c1940s

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

24 Oct 2023

HER Description

NEHL - A football ground opened between 1915 and the 1930s on Fourth Street at Quaking Houses. It is illustrated on the Ordnance Survey surveyed in 1938, and had a pavilion on the top left corner of the ground. It appears to have been an enclosed and maintained patch of land within unclaimed scrubland.

The ground may have been used by a number of grounds located at South Moor. South Moor Corinthians, South Moor Tradesmen and South Moor Palter were all playing in the 1930s, so was likely one of these teams.

The Google Maps satellite imagery of the 1940s shows the site no longer in use, likely due to the war. A faint enclosed area can be seen, though it is likely not to have been used for some years.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page