top of page
og1.png

stkn11

Bowls, Tennis

Ropner Park

54.558065, -1.329726

Stockton

Opened:

1893

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

30 Nov 2023

Ropner Park Bowling Club

HER Description

NEHL - Ropner Park features two bowling greens and a tennis ground on the northern end of the grounds.

Back in 1890 Stockton Council, like many at this time, sought to improve the wellbeing of an increasingly growing population. More people had time for recreation and leisure given the reduction in working hours and increase in living standards. Major Robert Ropner, a shipbuilder at Stockton and Conservative MP, provided the funds to the council to lay out a park at Hartburn fields in 1893. It was officially opened by the Duke & Duchess of York.

From its inception, the park had a tennis ground and two bowling greens. The greens were utilised by Ropner Park Bowling Club from 1895, playing friendlies against other local teams like Middlesbrough from the outset. The association still exists as do the greens.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1915

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The park in 1924 looking westwards. Source: Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW010137 flown 01/04/1924

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The park can be seen at the bottom in 1949. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_540_a_414_pffo_0286 flown 09/05/1949

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page