top of page
og1.png

ss04

Football

Harton Fauld, Football Ground

54.973653, -1.441880

Tyne Dock

Opened:

1893

Closed:

1909

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

8 Aug 2023

Tyne Dock FC, Kingston Villa FC

HER Description

NEHL - Tyne Dock Football Club, not the rugby club, was established at this site around 1893. This can make it incredibly confusing, as Football was still an interchangeable term with Rugby at this time. This is especially pertinent as the rugby club were quite a well known team.

Tyne Dock FC played at a ground named Harton Fauld, and is first mentioned in a report from July 1894 during a "programme of athletic sports promoted by the Tyne Dock Football Club...at the Harton Fauld".

They held their annual dinner at the Empress Hotel with 50 members and friends present. They noted no "timid man ought to play in a Football team".

The 1895-96 season is noted as the most successful by that point, running "within an ace of securing the senior cup", though sadly it has been difficult to trace any match reports. By this point though, the Ordnance Survey had illustrated the football ground at Stanley Terrace, between Harton Junction and the main road through Tyne Dock to West Harton. It featured one singular grandstand on the west side near a set of allotments and the Harton Junction signal box.

The club actually ended up playing in the Sunderland and District League by the 1900s, however they were wounded up by 1905 as they could no longer sustain a financial position. A report in the Shields Daily News states the issue with finding a suitable enclosed ground and the expenses related to away matches for the league meant despite being successful they could no longer continue.

Other matches were also played at Harton Fauld though. The Sunderland Shipowners Cup Fourth Round replay in 1901 was fought here between Kingston Villa and Bankhead, with Kingston Villa noting it as their main ground in the 1900s.

Kingston Villa played in the Northern Alliance from around 1901, with their AGM of 1902 being only their second. It appears they only remained here for a few years though, as references from 1908 stating their home ground was at Harton Green Lane, slightly south of here.

Jack Hall played for Kingston Village. He was born in 1885, and later played for Preston, Brighton, Doncaster and managed Feyenoord and PSV.

By 1912, Wright's biscuit factory had been constructed on the site.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page