top of page
og1.png

spw01

Quoits

Guide Post Inn, Quoits Ground

54.918868, -1.553289

Springwell

Opened:

c1890

Closed:

Unknown

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

19 Apr 2024

HER Description

NEHL - A quoits ground was situated adjacent to the Guide Post Inn from the beginning of the 1890s at least. Several newspaper reports reference the ground as a prominent hub of Quoits in the area. In September 1891, a match took place between Dowse of Washington and Thompson of Wrekenton. In 1894 a handicap promoted by Mr John Mayor at Thomas Davis' Guide Post Inn features a large tournament with a "large company of spectators".

The ground was likely on the pubs south side, where the extension has now been built. This would prove a perfectly sized area for a quoits ground to be laid.

References to Quoits at the Guide Post dry up into the 20th century.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1896

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Undated photograph of the Guide Post Inn. The Quoits ground was probably to the left of this shot. Source: Raggyspelk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The pub extension where the Quoits ground may have been is situated on the left of the pub.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page