top of page
og1.png

seca02

Golf

Seaton Carew Golf Club

54.651521, -1.183272

Seaton Carew

Opened:

1874

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

12 Jun 2023

Durham & Yorkshire Golf Club, Seaton Carew Golf Club

HER Description

NEHL - Seaton Carew Golf club claims to be the tenth oldest surviving golf club in England, having formed in 1874. When it was first established, it was the only golf club in both Yorkshire and Durham, with the club crest retaining elements of both the Archbishop of Durham and the Archbishop of York.

The club was founded on pasture land known as the Snooks (likely after Snook Well) which was owned by Lord Eldon. It was rented from him by the founding members which included Dr Duncan McCuaig, a Scottish native who moved to Middlesbrough.

After the title was no longer apt with more clubs opening they changed their name to Seaton Carew Golf Club. The links are shown on the 1890s Ordnance Survey map, with a small clubhouse close to the cricket ground at the north end of the site.

The course has since held a number of championships, including the Men's County Championships, the Ladies British Open, the Brabazon Trophy and the Gray Trophy, which was one of the earlier amateur trophies.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The Seaton Carew Clubhouse circa 1920s or 30s. Source: Hartlepool Museums

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The club and clubhouse in the 1880s, only a few years after formation. Mind, I wouldn't be too sure about playing golf on that ground. Source: Hartlepool Museums

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page