top of page



Fatten Pasture Football Ground

54.819499, -1.374085



20th c





Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

23 Mar 2023

Murton Colliery CW FC (1891 - 2016)

HER Description

NEHL - A football club was established for the betterment of colliery workers at Murton in 1891, and played on a field next to Fatten Pasture farm from the 1900s to 1928 when they moved to Recreation Park.

The club was founded as Murton Colliery Welfare and played in the Wearside League amongst many teams around the coalfields and Sunderland. At first, it appears they did not have a fixed ground. Clues are given by contemporary news reports which calls them "Murton Colliery Wanderers", a nickname given to nomadic clubs without a fixed ground. Some time in the 1900s or 1910s they established a permanent ground at Fatten Pasture. It was a circular enclosure without any proper facilities. It was likely just a maintained patch of grass.

The ground was used by this team until 1928, when they moved to the Miners Welfare Ground closer to the village of Murton. This ground was quickly reclaimed to open grazing land.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page