top of page
og1.png

lg03

Cricket

Leadgate, Garden Place Cricket Ground

54.859629, -1.811400

Leadgate

Opened:

1930s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

25 Aug 2022

Leadgate CC

HER Description

NEHL - A cricket ground has existed at Garden Place since at least the 1940s. Contemporary newspaper articles from the 1880s and 90s report on the annual dinners which confirm the cricket club's existence from 1888. Leadgate Community History Club advise they played at a ground near Bunker Hill Farm until their relocation to Garden Place, though they also state the club was formed in 1904 which contradicts newspaper sources.

In the 1890s the site is depicted as vacant close to Carrhouse Station. It can be suggested this open field was still used recreationally, though cannot be confirmed. It is only in the 1930s we can see the ground was used officially for cricket, complete with a small pavilion.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page