top of page
og1.png

killi01

Curling

Clousden Hill Quarry, Curling Pond

55.025509, -1.558844

Clousden Hill

Opened:

19thc

Closed:

19thc

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 May 2023

Newcastle and North Shields Curling Club

HER Description

NEHL - The Newcastle Curling Club (previously the Newcastle and North Shields Curling Club) used the disused quarry at Clousden Hill as a curling pond some time in the 19th century.

The club was formed around 1843 after the introduction of Curling to the region a few years earlier. Mr Robert Heughan brought curling stones back from Dumfriesshire and after a days curling at Percy Main established a club at the Chirton hostelry.

A piece from the Newcastle Daily Chronicle of 17th February 1893, it alludes to the toast Mr James Telford in which he told members of previous ponds which were used, but alas they were not written down. In 1859 there was a membership of 32, 45 in 1869, and by 1893 there were 103 signifying the growing popularity of the sport.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page