top of page



Curlew Road, Football Ground

54.983885, -1.482418

Jarrow, South Tyneside







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

14 Jul 2022

Jarrow Curlew Villa, Jarrow Caledonians (1912), Jarrow FC (1913) Palmers Jarrow (1919), Jarrow AFC (1920)

HER Description

NEHL - Curlew Road ground was developed in the early 1900s for possible number of Jarrow clubs. There were a dizzying array of small sides on South Tyneside at the time. Caledonians, the the first definite team to use the ground, first started playing in the 06-7 season in the South Shields Junior League and had the site fully refurbished. Photos show the official opening of the ground by Lord Northbourne in September 1912.

It is suggestible Jarrow Curlew Villa played at the ground earlier thanks to the name, but there may have been many more.

Jarrow FC started playing at the ground in 1913 having amalgamated with the Caledonians, but they formally wounded up in 1917. A club of shipyard workers named 'Palmers Jarrow' played at the ground after WWI, but it was short lived as the ground fell into decay after the war. Palmers changed their name to Jarrow AFC and relocated to Campbell Park in Hebburn.

The ground is now a housing development.

You can read more on Jarrow's football history here:

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1916

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Curlew Road during its opening ceremony in 1912. Source:

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Lord Northbourne and the Mayor of Jarrow at Curlew Road, 1912. Source:

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page