top of page
og1.png

ha07

Bowls, Tennis

Town Moor, Recreation Grounds

54.697462, -1.179414

Hartlepool

Opened:

1920s

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

1 Jun 2023

HER Description

NEHL - 2 bowling greens, 2 enclosed tennis courts and a putting green were located on the southern edge of Hartlepool's Town Moor from the 1920s. It included a pavilion containing lavatories as well as facilities for users.

Most of the facilities are extant though have been modernised and laid. The pavilion still remains.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1947

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Postcard of the Tennis courts and 2 bowling greens (one just to the right), unknown date but likely 1920s. Unknown original source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Aerial photograph of the Henry Smith School, depicting the Frirage Field as well as the tennis courts and bowling greens.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page