top of page
og1.png

du10

Golf

Pinkerknowle, Golf Course

54.753823, -1.574429

Durham

Opened:

1887

Closed:

1927

Reclaimed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

9 Mar 2023

Durham City Golf Club (1888 - 1927)

HER Description

NEHL - Durham City Golf Club opened their course at Pinkerknowle in 1888, having been formed a year earlier.

It was originally a 6 hole course, but extended to 9 holes a few years later in 1893. The Chronicle in 1907 states the course was "full of interest", though others who were asked said it was an "awful" and "rotten" course. The course was of "varied character", with much of it on a severe slope so many holes blind, and was hoped by this time a further field would be purchased to expand the course. .One of the drawbacks was its "inaccessibility" - it was a couple of miles from the city and the railway station itself.

It was Durham's first golf course, with courses rare in the 1880s in the region. By 1907 there were 90 members. It continued through to 1927, when Durham City Golf Club moved to Mount Oswald and continued here until 1974.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The course was the field in the centre of the image. This is from 1947, some 20 years after closure. Source: Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_cpe_uk_2352_fp_1448 flown 04/10/1947

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page