top of page
og1.png

cldn01

Bowls

Cleadon Park (Coulthard Park)

54.951579, -1.401313

Cleadon

Opened:

1944

Closed:

c2010s

Closed

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

12 Jan 2024

Cleadon Park Bowling Club

HER Description

NEHL - A bowling green was located at Cleadon Park from 1944 until the 2010s, having to relocate elsewhere.

It was opened by the Chief Constable of South Shields, Mr T B Humphrey, in April of that year, introduced by the chairman Mr S Porteus. The green featured its own small pavilion as well as potentially a tennis court on the south end. It was called the "Club Hut".

According to this piece (https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/bowlers-voice-fears-over-sports-future-in-south-tyneside-302659), the club has had to relocate unrelated to funding issues.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page