top of page


Tennis, Croquet

Cullercoats Lawn Tennis Club

55.031096, -1.432276







Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

4 Apr 2024

Cullercoats Lawn Tennis Club

HER Description

NEHL - Permission was granted by the Duke of Northumberland's agent to form the Cullercoats Lawn Tennis Club in 1893, and with it a lawn tennis court and croquet lawn. A 5 year lease was granted, and soon a wooden pavilion was erected alongside two changing rooms and a verandah. In 1898, the club was granted a further extension for the sum of £5, and has remained here ever since.

The early aerial shot from 1927 below shows both the tennis court and croquet lawn adjacent. It admittedly looks weather, though shows the clubhouse with what appears to be a flagpole, sitting over an archway. Further aerial imagery from the 60shas the grounds looking much tidier with a new clubhouse sitting a few metres south of the original.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The grounds can be seen in the bottom left, next to St George's in this shot from 1927.

Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW019768 flown 18/10/1927 (18 October 1927)

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The grounds are shown between the residential and St George's in this aerial shot from 1964. Source: Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_58_6283_po_0361 flown 01/05/1964 (1 May 1964)

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page