top of page
og1.png

bw03

Cricket

West Turnpike Cricket Ground

54.977194, -1.658620

Benwell

Opened:

1880s

Closed:

1920s

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

3 Feb 2023

Benwell Hill CC, Benwell CC

HER Description

NEHL - West Turnpike Cricket Ground stood in the area from the 1880s to the 20s or 30s. It appears to be first used by Benwell Hills CC, who had been operating between from at least 1886, when a match is documented against Delaval Institute. They had gained considerable popularity as they also had a 2nds team. Benwell CC used the site also in the 1910s as part of the Tyneside Senior League. A match is reported on in the Jarrow Express between Benwell and Wallsend.

The ground consisted of 3 buildings on its eastern side - a pavilion angled facing south west, a longer rectangular building with a benchmark and a small southernmost shed. They were demolished soon after, as they do not appear on aerial imagery from the 1940s.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page