top of page
og1.png

bu01

Football, Cricket, Cycling, Quoits

Burradon Recreation Ground

55.04644, -1.57703

Burradon

Opened:

1888

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

22 Aug 2022

Burradon FC (1888)

HER Description

NEHL - Burradon was home to an extensive athletics ground from 1888, as heralded in the Blyth News of March 1888. It had a 70 foot long pavilion with a cricket lawn, two football grounds, cycling track and a quoits ground, though these aren't visible on the 1890s maps so must have been downgraded. Burradon Football Club, who formed 9 months earlier, made use of the football ground.

The ground was developed by the colliery for its workers and families, and galas were due to be held there. It seems it was downscaled and throughout the 20th century redeveloped bit by bit.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1897

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The recreation ground was situated just south of the football courts where the school now lies.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page