top of page
og1.png

9793

Tennis, Badminton

Lightfoot Sports Stadium

54.967261, -1.555210

Walker, Newcastle

Opened:

1965

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

24 Jun 2022

HER Description

1963-5 by Williamson, Faulkner Brown & Partners for Newcastle City Council. The Lightfoot Centre was conceived in the wake of the Wolfenden Report of 1960, which promoted the construction of multi purpose sports centres. When it opened in 1965 it's 61m diameter 'flying saucer' dome was the largest in Europe. Its laminated timber ribs were covered in prefabricated reinforced fibreglass panels, cladding that had never been used before on this scale. Beneath the 14m high dome is an expanse of 2,300 square metres. There are two tennis courts and eight badminton courts. Refurbished 1990.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Interior of the dome, 1960s. Source: Falkner Brown Architects

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

The dome during construction, 1960s. Source: Faulkner Brown Architects

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page