og1.png

5477

Handball

Buddle Schools, Handball Wall

54.994602, -1.536007

Wallsend, North Tyneside

Opened:

1870s

Closed:

1974

Disused

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

HER Description

The Buddle School or Wallsend Board Schools (for juniors and infants) were built in the mid 1870s. The handball wall is contemporary with the school. It runs east from the infant boys toilet block, partially subdividing the junior girls and boys playgrounds. It is 18.4 metres long, between 0.45 metres and 0.50 metres thick and 5.8 metres high divided into four bays per face by four stepped buttresses. It is built of yellow snecked sandstone with ashlar buttresses and rounded coping stones. It is presently free-standing to the east, but was once keyed into a lower coped wall. It appears that the wall started life as a standard dividing wall between the girls and boys yards, but was heightened later. The buttresses provided physical support for the wall and they allowed six separate ball games to be carried out at any one time. Markings remain on the junior boys side of the wall - four circles on the central bay and 'wickets' painted onto two buttresses. The date of these markings is unknown.

Ordnance Survey

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png