top of page
og1.png

17004

Bowls, Tennis

Portland Bowling Green Club

54.982755, -1.601522

Jesmond, Newcastle

Opened:

1877

Closed:

Open

Condition:

Home Teams/Clubs:

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

HER Description

The oldest surviving bowling green in Newcastle. The club was founded in 1874, the green was ready for play in 1877. The clubhouse was designed by James Fatkin and built in 1938 as a replacement for the original one. A competition for members known as 'Spoons' gave an engraved silver spoon as the prize. Portland hosts two annual county tournaments, the Bell Cup which goes back to 1900, and the Oubridge Cup which started in 1910.

Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Portland Bowling Green, 2015. Source: Steve Ellwood, Flickr

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Portland Bowling Club Clubhouse, 2015. Source: Steve Ellwood, Flickr

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

logosite.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page