Three Mile Inn Golf Course
24 Jun 2022
City of Newcastle Golf Club
Relocated here from the Town Moor in 1907. Cackett & Burns Dick (who designed the Laing Art Gallery and Spanish City) designed the new clubhouse. It is based on a butterfly plan, with a verandah looking out west. During the 1920s the verandah was replaced by a sun lounge, which has compromised the original charm. There is a stuffed crow inside the clubhouse. The club secretary's ball from the first tee, hit the bird in mid flight at the course's opening in August 1907. In 1963 Waring & Netts of Gosforth drew up plans for a glass and steel clubhouse with a ten storey block of flats above. Permission was refused by Gosforth Urban District Council.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by