High Gosforth Park
24 Jun 2022
Northumberland Golf Club
Northumberland Golf Club formed at High Gosforth Park in 1898. The club was first based in a wooden hut on the north side of the straight mile of the racecourse. This was replaced in 1902 by a prefabricated pavilion supplied by Boulton & Paul of Norwich on the south side of the straight. Once trams started running to the west entrance in 1904, a third clubhouse was opened on its present site in 1905. In 1913 the present clubhouse was designed by Dennis Hill of Graham & Hill, in Arts and Crafts style. It cost £5000. Despite alterations, the clubhouse remains one of the best preserved historic sporting structures in Tyne and Wear. 14 of the 18 holes lie within the racecourse, so players have to cross the track four times.
Ordnance Survey, 1954
High Gosforth Park. The golf course is within the horse racecourse on this shot from 1949. Source: Tyne & Wear Archives
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by