Golf, Cricket, Football
Town Moor, Recreation Ground
24 Jun 2022
The 1870 Town Moor Improvement Act set aside part of the Town Moor for recreation. Golf was played informally on the recreation ground (later to be called Exhibition Park) which was also used by cricketers and footballers. In 1891 a group of gentlemen golfers petitioned the Freemen and town council to provide an alternative area. In October 1891 The City of Newcastle Golf Club was formed. They paid ten guineas a year for the site. The 18 hole course was designed by Tom Morris Senior of St. Andrew's. The Town Moor golf course was officially opened on 21 September 1892.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by