North View, Roller Skating Rink
Wallsend, North Tyneside
27 Jun 2022
Built between 1897 and 1916. This replaced the White House (HER 8658). The vast covered roller skating rink was used for aeroplane construction during the First World War, a boxing hall between 1919 and 1920, the Daimler Co. Ltd in 1922 with an adjoining car showroom to the west, then a Ministry of Works depot (named Training Centre, Ministry of Labour on OS fourth edition of 1937. It was then a giant paper store for government records. In the 1950s an unemployment benefit office was built next door. Both buildings have now gone.
Ordnance Survey, 1939
North View Rink, undated. Taken from North View. Posted by Julie Frater, Wallsend Memories but source unknown.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The 'Daimler' Building, undated. Posted by Julie Frater on Wallsend Memories, original source unknown.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.