Low Station, 1862
Low Station, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

press to zoom
Low Station, 1898
Low Station, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

press to zoom
Low Shields, 1946
Low Shields, 1946

Ordnance Survey, 1946

press to zoom
Low Station, 1862
Low Station, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

press to zoom
1/4
Low Station, 1950s

Retrieved from Tanfield Railway Blog

Name: South Shields Low Station

Region: South Shields, South Tyneside

Date of Origin: 1830s

Condition: Demolished

Status: The station building has only been demolished in recent years. There are images from the building as a garage in the 80s, but is now a car park. The goods yard is occupied by Halfords and Home Bargains.

Last Updated: 20/05/2020

Address: 54.995483, -1.438172, car park off of Station Road

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/2353

"The Market Place station, which opened on 17th December 1842, was originally the northern terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway after it had been extended in that year (HER ref. 2288). In 1864 the North Eastern Railway closed this station and replaced it with one at Mile End Road (HER ref. 2462). After closure, the rails remained in situ alongside the platform at the Market Place Station until 1970. The station buildings and the massive stone pillars at the Station Road entrance are still more or less intact, and have been occupied by a garage firm for a good many years." - Sitelines

Low Station, 1950s

LOW STATION,

SOUTH SHIELDS