Eltringham Shipyard, Will. Quay
JT Eltringham & Co Ltd (1914 - 1922)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
Jos. T. Eltringham & Co of South Shields opened a new shipyard at Willington Quay in the January of 1914, owning to their growth and need for a larger yard.
They also moved their headquarters from South Shields to the New Stone Quay yard. It was designed and completed under general manager Mr J Donovan, and at time of completion was "one of the most completely equipped of its kind in the kingdom, dealing with vessels up to 325ft in length" according to the Newcastle Journal of 6th Feb 1914.
The yard was over four acres with a river frontage of 460ft which had been dredged and piled to accomodate larger vessels. There were four shipbuilding berths for extensive capacity. The first vessels to be built here were keels and trawlers for the fishing industry, but later made landing craft, patrol boats and minesweepers for the war effort. Their last vessel, Harrow, was built for the Royal Navy.
From here, Armstrong Whitworth may have purchased the yard alongside the Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Yard next door, where a few contracts were completed until closure in 1933.
Ordnance Survey, 1916
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by