St Anthony's, Lindsay Shipyard
John Lindsay (1886 - 1911)
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
The slipway nr St Anthony's Station and Ropery Walk was under the ownership of John Lindsay between 1886-1911.
The yard is undoubtedly earlier, however previous owners cannot be proved. The most likely operators before the Lindsay's however were Cuthbert and Thomas Potts. They operated between 1825 and 1860 constructing schooners, sloops and some iron ships for local merchants. The lifespan of the yard aligns with future owners.
We are for certain the later owner was John Lindsay, the son of Edward Lindsay, who was a shipbuilder at St Peter's. The yard is described in the TIC handbook as having a slipway of 200ft in length with a gridiron of 120ft. From 1925 it was ran by John's sons Edward and John William. The yard was still known or listed as Lindsey Bros. slipway as late as 1941, as per an advertisement in the Newcastle Journal on 24/03/41 with a water boat for sale here. The last vessel registered being built here was No 4, a wooden steamer.
The slipway was still in use in 1948, with a boat moored here on aerial imagery. All other slipways in the area were out of use by this time.
Ordnance Survey, 1907
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by