Jarrow Quay Corner, Slipway
Thomas & Robert Brown (1813 - 1833), Drewett Brown
Types built here:
Customers (Not Exhaustive):
A patent slipway was located at Jarrow Quay Corner in the 1850s. This was almost certainly the Brown shipyard which worked from the 1810s until the 1830s.
It was operated under Thomas & Robert Brown until around 1833 producing snows, ships and barque's for various merchants on Tyneside and in London. The ownership was passed to Dewett Brown, likely the son of one of the preceding parties, who tried to sell the yard in the 1840s and 50s. The advertisement in the Gateshead Observer of March 1851 states the yard was to be let for 99 years. In a North & South Shields Gazette advert from 1849, a first-class patent slipway with steam engine, saw mills, cranes and dwelling house were all to be let with 5 acres of land. There was clearly some issue in shifting it.
It's not known if anyone else took on the yard, and in the 1890s it became the Jarrow Cement Works. Esson & Co. may have leased the yard in the 1840s.
The slipway was demolished around the 1890s. Nothing visible can be seen on aerial photos from the 1920s onwards.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by