Old Infirmary, 1864
Old Infirmary, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
Old Infirmary, 1899
Old Infirmary, 1899

Ordnance Survey, 1899

press to zoom
'Labour Exchange', 1946
'Labour Exchange', 1946

Ordnance Survey, 1946

press to zoom
Old Infirmary, 1864
Old Infirmary, 1864

Ordnance Survey, 1864

press to zoom
1/4
Old Infirmary, 1803

Name: Old Infirmary

Region: Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Date of Origin: 18th Century

Site Type: Hospital

Condition: Demolished in 1954

Status: The Life Centre and a car park now occupy the site

Last Updated: 06/06/2020

Address: 54.966581, -1.620200, B1600 between the Life Science Centre and Secure Self Storage

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1371

"In 1751 the Newcastle Common Council provided land for the foundation of an infirmary. The hospital remained on this site, first open, finally surrounded by the railway and livestock markets, until replaced by the RVI in 1906. Building phases: 1. 1751-53, an L-shaped block: 2. 1801-03, South block extended to the West: 3. 1830, a third floor added to the East wing: 4. 1852-55, John Dobson added a North-South wing at the West end, and a yard with domestic offices: 5. 1885, the Ravensworth wing was added to the South front. The main part of the building was demolished in 1954." - twsitelines

"The Infirmary at Newcastle was founded in 1751 following calls for a hospital for the poor and needy, led by Newcastle surgeon Richard Lambert. It opened on 23rd May 1751 located on a temporary basis in a house in Gallowgate, whist the Infirmary was built on Forth Banks 1751-1753; The Infirmary on Forth Banks opened on 8th October 1753 (Northern Schools of Anaesthesia museum). The Infirmary was extended in 1803, 1830, 1855 (by John Dobson) and again in 1885. Over time it became surrounded by the railway and livestock markets, leading to it being replaced by the Royal Victoria Infirmary in 1906. The main part of the old Infirmary building on Forth Banks was demolished in 1954." - Co-curate

OLD INFIRMARY,

FORTH BANKS