Name: Barber-Surgeons Hall
Region: Manors, Newcastle upon Tyne
Date of Origin: 17th - 18th Century
Site Type: Meeting Hall
Status: Demolished in 1851 to make way for current railway bridge
Last Updated: 18/05/2020
Address: 54.971576, -1.606707, A186 and Melbourne Street junction
"The Barber-Surgeons had two halls consecutively on this site. In 1648 they leased from the mayor and burgesses a plot in the Manors on which to build their hall and plant a garden with medicinal herbs. In 1730 the Company rebuilt their premises, a seven-bay hall set above an arcaded ground floor. In front to the south, running down to Manor Chare, they had a long narrow garden. The second hall was demolished in 1851 to make way for the railway north from the Central Station. The building was sited immediately south and east of the Holy Jesus Hospital, almost touching it and facing south. After the demolition of this hall, the railway company built a new hall for the Barber-Surgeons at Victoria Street, Westmorland Road (HER no. 4648)." - Twsitelines
"Newcastle University evolved from two nineteenth century educational establishments: the College of Medicine (1834) and the College of Science (1871).
After starting life through lectures given at the Barber Surgeons’ Company Hall in the Manors, the College of Medicine eventually found a permanent home in Orchard Street (below) in 1852, coinciding with formal recognition of the qualifications it awarded." - Newcastle University
Above is the general location of the old Barber-Surgeons Hall, where the railway viaduct is currently situated.
Map retrieved from National Library of Scotland