The New Inn, Blaydon
31 May 2020
This is a
Bridge Street, Blaydon
Current status is
Designer (if known):
Building is now an office premises. A listing can be seen at https://www.bradleyhall.co.uk/commercial-properties/new-inn-bridge-street/
'Formerly a public house, now in use as a second hand furniture store [since it is now office premises]. Until rebuilding in the early 20th century, these were a mixture of brick and sandstone rubble-built tenement housing, including a public house called the New Inn. The buildings are shown in a late 19th century photograph. Most of the existing complex is of late 19th and early 20th century brick, though sections of earlier sandstone rubble walling survive to the rear. Joseph Taylor was listed in the elctoral register for 1839 as owner and inn and brewery. In 1855, utensils capable of brewing 10 half-barrels were offered for sale. Taylor died in 1864 aged 77.'
'Originally a substantial stone building this public house was known as ‘Bridge End’ as it stood next to the bridge over Blaydon
Burn on the Gateshead to Hexham turnpike which had opened in 1776 with the bridge being built in 1778. In the picture taken 1906 the landlord was James Bell b1862 in Tyrone, Ireland seen with his wife Mary Jane and their staff. The stone building was demolished and replaced with a large brick building in the early 20th. Century. However, with the closing of the various Blaydon Burn works in the 1950’s coupled with the demolition of the houses in that area during the 1930’s the public house lost its trade and the licence was
transferred to the ‘Huntsman’ on Blaydon Bank.The building, no longer licensed premises was used for many years by Billy Swan as ‘Swans Salerooms’ selling second hand furniture and household effects. The building has since been taken over by a design company who remodelled the interior, whilst leaving the exterior intact.' - Winlaton History Society
Listing Description (if available)
Further above we see the first edition Ordnance Survey. The New Inn is unmarked due to the dense developments either side, but is one of the shaded buildings on Bridge Street.
Blaydon was a fairly substantial town at this point thanks to its relationship with the Tyne and the industries that exploit it. For example the Bottle Works and Blaydon Main Colliery to the south.
On the second edition seen just above, the town features a huge array of industry and development. The New Inn lies right in the centre, the sweet spot for workers to drop in for a pint on their way home. The New Inn had been operating for a full century at this point, signifying its success as both a public house and a brewery for Blaydon.
The pub at this point was ran by a Mr John William Robson, who was the landlord up until his demise during the war. It was in a convenient are close to the Blaydon Ferry, the Railway Station and the staiths, being a perfect catchment area for travellers and workers the like.
Photograph of the New Inn at Bridge End on 1906. James Bell is the landlord seen in this picture, from County Tyrone in Ireland. Other workers at the pub and a dog can be seen outside also. The public house didn't last to the latter half of the century due to deteriorating industry and the loss of population in the immediate area. Image retrieved from Winlaton & Blaydon History Society.