top of page

Monkseaton, North Tyneside

Bygate Farm, Monkseaton

Last Updated:

9 Jun 2020

Monkseaton, North Tyneside

This is a


55.040918, -1.460595

Founded in 


Current status is


Designer (if known):


Site is now on junction of Bygate Road and The Gardens

'Built in 1735. Demolished by 1950. A plan of the farm from 1876 shows the farmhouse, byre, poultry houses and gardens. The farm was bought in 1875 by Richard Heckels Nesbit who set up the brickworks at Hill Heads.'

- Retrieved from Sitelines

Listing Description (if available)

Both editions above from the 19th century illustrate Bygate Farm at the south east of the village. When the farmstead was built in 1750 it is likely the farm was seperated from the village by a small field from the front street, but slow development meant the site, by this point, was on the periphery of the hamlet. The fields owned by the farm likely reached Whitley Quarry as we can see a footpath running through the middle. On the first edition, Bygate Farm is unlabelled, but can be seen on the 1898 edition.

In concern of Monkseaton little had changed by the end of the century, though the neighbour town of Whitley had grown exponentially thanks to the tourist trade. Neighbouring the farm is the North Eastern Railway Line to Tynemouth, Benton and the Avenue Branch to New Hartley. The village of Monkseaton was still a small community and still seperate from the adjacent Whitley.

In the third edition, the site is extant but no longer occupies the land to the south. Housing developments have enveloped Monkseaton and can now be identified as a suburb of the burgeoning Whitley Bay. Part of the building still existed at this point, though it can be suspected the farm buildings were demolished to make way for The Gardens which cuts right through it.


Postcard of Bygate Road, undated. Bygate Farm can be seen in the background along with its related buildings. In the foreground, the dwellings on Bygate Road are still there, and can be seen on Google Street View from a similar location, though the rest is unidentifiable apart from the gradual downward slope from the illustrators angle.

Retrieved from Postcards then and now



bottom of page