13 Aug 2020
Whaling Station, Gateshead
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
This is a
Current status is
Site is now grassland on banks of the Tyne.
'First whale factory in the north-east for the Newcastle Whale Fishery Company on land leased from Newcastle Corporation. June 1752 to 1831. The site was later leased by soap and alkali manufacturers Thomas Doubleday and Anthony Easterby in 1812. Whale oil was stored in lead-lined tanks after being prepared. One such site was excavated at Rotherhithe in London.'
Unfortunately there are no map records of the site, though it is certain it was at Saltmeadows either close to Deptford Iron Works or the Alkali Works further south. It is more likely to be the Alkali Works. the Newcastle Whale Fishery Company also leased works at Howdon and Willington Quay.
An article in the Chronicle on the north's whaling industry can be found here: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/how-north-east-fishermen-led-12807475
Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.