Last Updated:

10 May 2022

The Albion Inn, Willington Quay

Willington Quay, North Tyneside

54.991143, -1.500708

This is a

Public House

Founded in 

1853

Current status is

Derelict

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Currently closed and disused.

"Albion Inn on Potter Street opened in 1853. Present building dates to 1913-1914 when it was owned by Henry and Edward Emmerson, Brewers of Sandyford Rd, Newcastle. On March 4th 1913 permission was granted to start on rebuilding by Wallsend Magistrates. On 20th January 1914 alterations were completed. Also known as the Top House. It was due to be demolished in the late 1960s as part of the Tyne Tunnel construction. It survived and is still open." - Sitelines

Visited May 2022, and unfortunately in a derelict condition. Looks to be subject to demolition in near future.

The two maps above illustrate the Willington Quay area in 1898 and 1916. The 19th century map depicts an already dense industrial area, relatively similar to modern day Howdon and Willington. You may notice the Riverside branch, which was a railway line from Byker to Percy Main. There was a station at Willington Quay, mainly used by industrial workers. The second map from 1916 labels Albion Inn on Potter Street between the various terraces houses which were demolished, likely as part of clearances. The area looks quite different today, with additional roads added and the railway now cleared and built over.

This is the 1947 Ordnance Survey map of the area. The inn is now labelled as P.H, meaning public house, and was still a central meeting spot for industrial workers in the area.

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Albion Inn in 1967. The large printed sign on the side of the building is reminiscent of today's, though it has been redone since. There was previously an extension on this side also, but has since been demolished.

Source: Newcastle Libraries

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Side of the building, May 2022. Behind a metal fence, the public house is now derelict. The sign mentioned previously still features on the building.

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

A second perspective of the building, with the frontage identical to its facade during the 60s.

Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.