Last Updated:

2 Jun 2020

Scaffold Hill Racecourse, Killingworth

Killingworth, North Tyneside

55.028329, -1.538303

This is a


Founded in 

17th Century

Current status is



No trace of the site remains. The area of the site is still moorlands.

'The place-name Scaffold Hill is derived from the stands used for spectators at Newcastle races, which were held on Killingworth Moor in the 17th and 18th centuries. The first record of racing there is from 1632 when the Newcastle Corporation paid £20 for 'two silver potts' to be raced for on Killingworth Moor. Racing continued there until the end of the 18th century.' - Sitelines

'The Newcastle races were run on Killingworth Moor in the 17th and 18th centuries, with Scaffold Hill, c.750m to the south, deriving its name from the scaffolds or
stands used by the spectators to view the racing (HER 1386; Dodds 1930, 418; Parson & White 1828, 404). Racing is first recorded here in the 1630s (HER 7761) and continued until 1750, when the venue was changed to Newcastle Town Moor (Milne 2003; Archaeological Services 2010).' - North Tyneside Council

There are no illustrations and there is no documentary evidence for exactly where the site lied on Killingworth Moor. All we can recollect is the site of Scaffold Hill which is actually under Benton Square. As the area was rural at this point, it may have lied around the area of Palmersville station.




Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.