15 Jun 2020
Oakwellgate Railway Station, Gateshead
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
This is a
Current status is
Demolished, artificial mount still exists
The site is now a car park for The Sage
'The Gateshead depot of the Brandling Junction Railway was situated on a high artificial mound east of Oakwellgate. The original intention had been to build the depot at a lower level on the same site, but the decision to carry the branch line from Redheugh Quay across Gateshead on a viaduct instead of a tunnel, necessitated a change in the plans for the depot. The level of the mound had to be raised from 12 feet to 32 feet. The mound was surrounded on three sides by a brick and masonry retaining wall, that on the north side having 12 arched recesses which were intended to be let as warehouses; a further arch, of larger size, was formed over an inclined plane leading down to a coal drop on Gateshead Quay. A broad inclined carriageway led up from Oakwellgate to the north-west corner of the depot, and at the same corner was "a sort of tower which encloses a spacious staircase intended for those who arrive on foot". This wooden staircase cost £515 15s 10d. In addition to the passenger terminus of the B.J.R. there was room in the depot area for a carriage shed, warehouse, and engine repair shed. Oliver’s plan of 1844 is the earliest to represent Oakwellgate Station in any detail. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan shows the station in use as a Goods depot, the terminus buildings and engine shed apparently enlarged, and 13 sidings. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey plan shows the terminus building had been demolished and the number of sidings increased to 15. The raised mound survives, almost cleared of buildings.'
Above can be seen the Thomas Oliver map of Gateshead from 1844 and the First Edition of the Ordnance Survey, published in 1862. The first map illustrates Oakwellgate Railway Station as a terminus, seperate from Greenesfield Station to the west, on the Brandling Junction Railway. The line carried travellers from Gateshead to both Dunston in the west and Monkwearmouth in the east. This station isn't as well known as the others due to its longevity, as it was quickly replaced when the High Level Bridge was opened with Gateshead East, making the need for a terminus redundant.
The OS map shows the railway station already converted into a goods depot, with multiple sidings and the station building presumably being space for the sorting of goods. An engine shed was also on the site.
The second edition shows the station building demolished to make way for extra sidings, presumably for the industry along the Tyne and for extra capacity at the nearby depot.
Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.